¡Bienvenido! Conectarse Crear un nuevo perfil

Avanzado

lost too many points

Enviado por eran oren 
lost too many points
07-June-2007 23:55
I just lost to Azathoth on game "No tengo games 9". Due to the loss, I lost 8 points. This is much more than normal, why is this? Azathoth is placed #1, and I was 86 (due to the big loss I moved out of the first 100). I shouldn't have lost so many points. Is there some bug? Is this how Azathoth got to be so much before everyone else?
Re: lost too many points
08-June-2007 00:00
that's the uneasy part of playing with high-ranked players. since everyone bets 1% of his points, profit and losses are bigger than usual.

have a look by yourself at the ranking system thread to fully understand what really happened. But i see it was done ok smiling smiley
08-June-2007 00:19
I don't understand. Where is the "ranking system thread"? As I understand, the lower the winner is ranked, the more points you lose, isn't it so? What is this about 1%?
08-June-2007 00:27
in a quick view, when a game starts, all players bet 1% of their total points. Once the game is over, winner gets all those points, and losers pay them in an inverse relation to their points. so, Aza has some 900 points, he bets 9. you bet 1,5 and the 3rd players bet 0,5. Aza wins, he gets 9+1,5+0,5=11 points. And since you have 1,5 and 3rd player 0,5, you put (1,5)/(1,5+0,5)= 75% of the points, 8,something, 3rd player put the remaining 25%

Figures are rounded, you could recalculate with real numbers to check it, but i see it's done ok.

There's a thread in the "Rules" that fully explains it all.

Editado 1 vez/veces. Última edición el 08/06/2007 09:06 por mariano.
08-June-2007 02:48
Thank you, mariano, you have explained very well.

Achiles(X)
09-June-2007 23:00
Thanks Mariano. I understand what you wrote, and this explains what happened. Yet, this is not what is written in the site. It's written there that "if a player with high ranking loses against lower ranking players, he is deducted more points than if he loses against players with higher ranking". What you wrote is the opposite. The higher the winner is ranked, the more points I lose.

Regarding the thread in "rules" - do you mean a thread in this forum? I didn't find it, what's the title?
10-June-2007 05:59
dont know where that's written.... but points are just asigned not on the ranking on two individuals in the game, but on the rankings of all players. I'm pretty sure we can find examples where the situation you describe happens... and we can find also counter-examples.

Rankings work this way. wheter all players in the game fully understand it or not, the algorithm will be dully applied anyway at the end of the game smiling smiley

there are several threads about rankings in the forum. One of them is [ciudadelas.frenopatico.net]
10-June-2007 10:05
What I wrote appears in the Citadels site under "House Rules".

I can't find any counter examples. Given a specific group of players, and given that you lose in the game, it's always better for you that the lower ranked player would win. For example, in our case: Since Aza won, I lost 8.2 points. But if BoutBout would have won, I would have lost only 1.6 points. This is very significant and should effect the way you play.

It's clear that the algorithm is in effect also when players don't fully understand it. But it's not reasonable that the site describes one algorithm, and the system works with another one. Remember that not all players enter the forum (I enter it for the first time) and not all players (me for example) read Spanish.
Lo siento, sólo pueden enviar mensajes si está registrado.

Picar aquí para entrar