¡Bienvenido! Conectarse Crear un nuevo perfil

Avanzado

Quick play - a rant

Enviado por Ginolard 
Ginolard
Quick play - a rant
15-March-2005 11:00
Why do people bother signing up to play online games like this if they aren't going to check in for a week at a time? It really only takes about 5 minutes per turn so I can't believe that "they just don't have time". However, if that's truly the case then DON'T JOIN A GAME!

I appreciate this is a Play-by-Web game and that it is inherently slower than a face-to-face game but a 5-player game should NOT take over a month to complete.
Re: Quick play - a rant
15-March-2005 18:16
Ginolard; some times I can't play for a week or two, becouse normally when I play is because I have less work (lately I have been very busy) but I don't think I shouldn't join games just becouse of that. If you want your games to go quiker, I kindly recomend you to invite to your games (created with password) the people you know that play more or less every day. (you can check that in the player's profile). smiling smiley

YO QUIERO BAILAR!! grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley
Malditos conductores de autob?s... mira que darme un golpe en el coche!!!!
15-March-2005 19:36
My only remaining game took-off back in October 2th and we're just about to finish it after 19 rounds...

(two slow players and twelve districts made it possible!)
Ginolard
16-March-2005 09:44
I find it hard to believe that people cannot find 5 minutes in a 2-week period to logon and make their moves. Maybe I'm being naive?
16-March-2005 14:56
If you do not believe it, is because you haven't meet my boss!!! also I must say I don't have internet access at home, so I can only play when I am in the office, and is not every day is possible . In addition to that, some times (only some times) I go on holidays... so then I don't play for a longer period of time.

YO QUIERO BAILAR!! grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley
Malditos conductores de autob?s... mira que darme un golpe en el coche!!!!
16-March-2005 17:05
And, she's not alone... life happens, mate!

winking smiley
Ginolard
17-March-2005 10:14
Ah. No internet access at home *could* be a big hindrance I suppose winking smiley
18-March-2005 12:35
I see that I'm in same match than agh... A 6 month-play can be a new record, indeed...

Be patient, Ginolard, some people can't play every day and someone left the game when you just go to win... :-P
Sanjuro
02-April-2005 21:55
I don't fully agree with you Ginolard, even though I am frustrated to death to join a game and discover it's laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaging endlessly.

I think the point is more that we should be able to have it the way we like. Set up fast games if we we want to have it fast or set them without time limit if we know we can only join at long intervals. I suggested somtimes ago that we should be able to categorize games at opening into basic categories indicating the pace we wish to play but many people told me this would not work because "reality happens".

If we did have a way to state at game opening at what pace we wish to play the game, for example:
- answer more or less immediate
- answer required within the hour
- answer required within the day
- no time limit

I have no clue why anyone on earth would join a game if they know they're not going to hold up the pace, but in the meantime... Games will only always be as fast as the slowest player who elects to join...
06-April-2005 18:54
We are dealing with cultural differences. Here, in the USA,internet access is easy to come by. We have it at home, at work, at school, for free in the publiclibraries. We have internet cafes. Some cafes (around here anyway) have free wireless for your laptops. So, we don't easily understand someone not being able to take 5 minutes a day to make moves.

In Europe, internet is more expensive, and a lot of people don't have it at home, so they just use it at work.

Does this eman that I will stop deleting games after a week of inactivity? Well, no, although I've been lenient this week. If you know your internet access is spotty, don't join 50 games, because you just can't keep up. When i see someone who has yet to make moves in nearly all of their games, it means they have joined too many games.
06-April-2005 19:49
Internet is widely available in Europe, mate, but you are right, the culture about it's use differs significantly. Even though there are internet cafes, public libraries and wireless accesses for your laptop it's just not used all that much by the mayority of the population. They tend not to use it for leisure at all and thus are not so keen on getting it installed at home, they just don't see the need for it. I suspect they mainly use it to skive off work, I know I do. I have internet at home and at work and whatnot, but sometimes a few days go by and I haven't had the chance to check my games. Leniency's the word, mate!
Lo siento, sólo pueden enviar mensajes si está registrado.

Picar aquí para entrar